When I first started looking for an essential oil diffuser, it was because I wanted my home to smell fresh and fragrant. More than that, I also wanted to be safe, so scented candles were out of the question. Every year, fire departments across the United States have put out around 8,200 fires that were started by candles. What's more worrying is that this sort of fire kills around 80 people every year.
Buying the right essential oil diffuser helps you avoid that. Because there are no open flames, there is no danger in leaving a diffuser running for too long. What's more, you can use different scents depending on your mood, unlike with a scented candle where you are stuck with one fragrance.
What Is an Essential Oil Diffuser?
Essential oil diffusers allow you to get the most benefits out of your EOs. These devices break down the oils and then sends it into the air that you breathe, making it an excellent way to make your home smell nice and cozy. For those who are after potential health benefits, diffusing is an efficient mode of delivery for essential oils.
Types of diffusers
There are several types of diffusers that you can buy. However, the more popular ones are the ultrasonic diffusers and nebulizers.
- Ultrasonic diffusers
- Nebulizing diffusers
Ultrasonic diffusers need water to disperse your oils into the air. These diffusers also act as a humidifier, which makes it useful in windowless or air-conditioned rooms, as well as during winter. Ultrasonic diffusers work better for oils that affect your emotions such as those that affect your memory, focus, anxiety, and insomnia.
Nebulizers need no water or heat to disperse essential oil molecules. As such, these devices do not change the chemical structures of your oils. If you need a more potent dose or want a stronger smell, you should use a nebulizing diffuser.
One drawback to using nebulizers is that they often require more oil than other diffusers.
What to Look for in an Essential Oil Diffuser
There are several factors to consider when you are choosing an essential oil diffuser. First is the tank size. An essential oil diffuser with a big tank means fewer refills and longer runtimes. But it also means that you will need to use more oil.
You should also choose an essential oil diffuser that emits a steady and continuous billow of mist. Further, remember that diffusers are often very visible and on display. Choose one that has a beautiful design, excellent looks, and built with high-quality materials. Most diffusers available out there have a plastic body, but you have alternatives. Some diffusers use wood, ceramic, and other suitable materials.
Moreover, you might want to buy a diffuser with a timer that can turn your diffuser off after an hour or so. This feature is for people who run their diffusers the whole day without having to refill the tank repeatedly. You can also find devices that offer intermittent diffusing, stopping for a while before resuming. Lastly, you might want diffusers that also function as a night lamp or a light source.
How to Use and Clean a Diffuser
Diffusers all work the same way. Add some drops of your preferred oil into the tank or receptacle and then turn it on. Cleaning an essential oil diffuser is equally straightforward. You merely throw away any leftover water and wipe it down with a cloth or tissue. You should also periodically clean out all the notches and nooks inside the device with cotton swabs to ensure that the tank is clean.
General warnings about using essential oils and diffusers
Do not think that essential oils are harmless just because they are natural. You should avoid them when you are pregnant, and you should always check with your doctor if you plan to use it to treat any medical condition. You should also dilute essential oils before you put them on your skin.
When it comes to using diffusers, experts have different suggestions on how long you should use these devices. For instance, essential oil safety expert Robert Tisserand suggests diffusing for around 30 minutes to 60 minutes and then shutting it off for the same amount of time before you start the process again.
Others say that you can keep the diffuser on for the entire day. Some also say that you should rely on yourself to know how long you should diffuse. If you feel the air becoming very heavy, then you might want to turn that diffuser off.
Further, you should always choose a diffuser that is made out of high-quality materials. For nebulizers, where you put in undiluted oils, you might want to get something with a glass receptacle. Pure essential oils can corrode plastic.
How We Chose
To come up with this list, we checked out the highly rated products on Amazon. We also considered the opinions of different consumer electronics blogs such as WireCutter. Further, we looked at the suggestions from essential oil enthusiasts. Rather than giving you the same devices with the same functionality and features, we also tried to come up with a more varied list.
Essential Oil Diffuser: The 10 Best of the Best
What is the best essential oil diffuser? Here are some devices you should consider!
URPOWER 2nd Generation 300ml Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
- Portable for yoga, gym, office, baby room or bedroom up to 200 sq feet.
- ADVANCED Ultrasonic Diffusing technology which produces vibrations at a frequency of 2.4 millions times per second...
- Large 300ml water capacity that can continue use up to 8 hours each time. When time is up or there is no water, it will...
The URPOWER 2nd Generation 300ml Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser measures 4.3 by 4.3 by 6.1 inches. With its portable size, you can bring this diffuser with you and place it on just about any surface. Even then, the 10-ounce tank will be able to give you up to 8 hours of misting. Or you can set it to mist for one hour, three hours, or six hours, depending on what you need.
Personally, what we like about this diffuser is how solid and minimalist it looks. With a classic white cylindrical shape, it will be less likely to clash with your home's decor and color scheme. By skipping the odd shapes, fake wood, and ridiculous colors that other diffusers have, this will look great everywhere.
Reviews and ratings
On Amazon, the URPOWER 2nd Generation 300ml Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser gets an average of 4.3 stars out of 5.0. Verified buyers like this diffuser because of its large capacity packed in a small frame. It works rather excellently, and it can be used as a night light as well. However, there are complaints about the build quality. Some people warn interested buyers that this diffuser stopped working after a few months, while others report issues with the LED lights.
ASAKUKI 500ml Premium Essential Oil Diffuser
- 5-IN-1 AROMATHERAPY DEVICE: This ultrasonic essential oil diffuser is an amazing multifunction aromatherapy device...
- GREATLY AROMA DIFFUSER: Besides its uses in aromatherapy, this essential oil diffuser also functions as a humidifier....
- PREMIUM QUALITY MATERIALS: When it comes to our premium essential oil diffusers, we make a point of using nothing but...
The ASAKUKI 500ml Premium Essential Oil Diffuser also acts as a humidifier, a night light, immunity booster, and sleep aid. It can also moisten your skin. You can set it to mist continuously, or set the timer to have it run for an hour, two hours, or three hours. With its easy to clean 16.9-ounce water tank, you can have a fresh smelling home for up to 16 hours.
The ASAKUKI 500ml Premium Essential Oil Diffuser gets an average rating of 4.5 stars out of 5.0 from more than 3,500 customers on Amazon. Verified buyers like the large water tank capacity, the timer feature, and the LED lights. They also like how you can control the mist coming out from this diffuser, as well as how easy it is to clean. However, some people complain about the terrible customer service, and how the product stops working after a short period of time.
Radiance Nebulizing Diffuser
- SATISFACTION 100% GUARANTEED – Organic Aromas offers a ONE YEAR free parts & service warranty. Have a problem, we will...
- WHY A NEBULIZING DIFFUSER? There is no stronger or more effective aroma diffuser on the market. Get the purest and most...
- WHAT MAKES IT DIFFERENT? Uses ONLY pure essential oil. NO WATER to dilute the scent or to grow mold. NO HEAT to change...
Organic Aroma's Radiance Nebulizing Diffuser does not use heat or water to disperse your oils. This feature helps to maintain the efficacy and potency of your essential oils. If you prefer to have a stronger scent, then you should invest in this nebulizer.
The Radiance Nebulizing Diffuser has an attractive design that combines an exquisitely shaped glass with swirling and smooth details. The glass reservoir sits on top of hand-crafted hardwood. Overall, the Radiance diffuser looks very elegant, something that you will proudly display in the living room for your visitors to see.
On Amazon, this product gets an average rating of 4.2 stars out of 5.0. Verified buyers pronounce this as the best nebulizer in the market. They love the stronger smell it produces and the elegant looks of the diffuser. They also like how quiet it is.
However, some reviewers warn interested buyers not to spill oils on the wood base because the essential oil will eat away at the wood like acid. Others also report that this diffuser clogs and uses too much of your essential oils.
InnoGear Upgraded Real Bamboo Essential Oil Diffuser
- Natural Bamboo Finish and Sleek Design: With an attractive and natural appearance, this diffuser is made of high-quality...
- Upgraded Air Outlet: Specially designed air outlet that delivers ultra-fine and smooth mist and ensures longer lifespan...
- Dual Misting Modes with Timer Setting: Continuous mist/Intermittent mist (mist and pause every 10 seconds). Set the...
The InnoGear Upgraded Real Bamboo Essential Oil Diffuser is for those who like a zen-styled device that uses real bamboo. This eco-friendly diffuser looks excellent with just about any decor. It also uses real wood rather than cheap-looking fake wood material.
On Amazon, the InnoGear Upgraded Real Bamboo Essential Oil Diffuser receives an average rating of 4.1 out of 5.0 stars. People like how quiet this diffuser is and how it uses a small amount of oil. However, there are complaints that the lid might get mold over time, and that there is no way to turn off the faint light that the diffuser has.
Sierra Modern Home Smart Wi-Fi Essential Oil Aromatherapy Diffuser
- INTELLIGENT AROMATHERAPY – A great addition to your smart home that is powered intelligently and wifi compatible. Use...
- ULTRASONIC VAPORIZER – Our smart diffuser works by creating 360° ultra sonic frequencies that instantly atomize water...
- CREATE SCHEDULES – Scheduling is here! Our smart diffuser allows you to create regular schedules in the app so you can...
The Sierra Modern Home Smart Wi-Fi Essential Oil Aromatherapy Diffuser works like an ordinary ultrasonic diffuser. However, it has Wi-Fi connectivity. You can download the companion mobile app and tweak the settings for your diffuser such as the LED light color, the intensity of the mist, and timer settings. You can even schedule when the diffuser will mist when you are not home.
What's more, the Sierra Modern Home Smart Wi-Fi Essential Oil Aromatherapy Diffuser also works with voice commands. If you have Google Home or Amazon Alexa speakers, you can tell the diffusers to start vaporizing.
On Amazon, the Sierra Modern Home Smart Wi-Fi Essential Oil Aromatherapy Diffuser gets an average rating of 4.1 out of 5.0 stars.
BZSeed Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
- 550ML CAPACITY, RUN OVER 10 HOURS, MORE MIST OUTPUT: Our essential oil diffuser feature 550ml capacity, even in strong...
- TIMER SETTING AND MIST CONTROL，WATERLESS AUTO-OFF: You can change the lights to whatever you feel at the moment,...
- REDUCE ALLERGIES SYMPTOMS IN WINTER DRY CLIMATE: This aromatherapy diffuser could provide a large amount of fresh air...
The BZSeed Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser is one of those plastic devices with a wood look. It also has a unique vase-like shape that makes it an excellent addition to your decorations. But more than its looks, you should be looking at the product's features.
This diffuser has everything you need from an excellent essential oil diffuser, including a strong/weak mist setting, an 18.6-ounce tank, and timer-based operations.
This product gets an average rating of 4.6 stars out of 5.0. Some people like the diffuser's design, as well as its large water tank that is good for 12 hours of misting. However, the design of the BZSeed Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser is not for everyone. This diffuser measures 7.3 by 6.5 by 7.3 inches.
ArtNaturals Essential Oil Diffuser and Humidifier with Bluetooth Speaker Clock
- BLUETOOTH SPEAKER: ArtNaturals Bluetooth Essential Oil Diffuser is Equipped with advanced technology and compatible with...
- SOOTHING LED LIGHTS: Choose between 7 colors that can be cycled through or set to one color. Put it in your child’s...
- AUTO SHUT OFF: Our aromatherapy diffuser has three timer settings, 1h/3h/ON. These settings will allow you to add your...
The ArtNaturals Essential Oil Diffuser and Humidifier with Bluetooth Speaker Clock deserves mention on this list for two reasons. For one, the diffuser works rather well with a large water tank and a colorful yet classic design. It works quietly, and you can set it to run for an hour, two hours, or six hours.
Further, it functions as a Bluetooth speaker. It also has a digital clock. All in all, you have an ultrasonic diffuser that also plays music and tells you the time, all in one device.
On Amazon, this product gets an average rating of 4.0 out of 5.0 stars.
GuruNanda Essential Oil Diffuser
- BEST IN CLASS: This Gurunanda essential oil diffuser fills the space with a lovely aroma that can lift the mood and...
- WHISPER-QUIET ULTRASONIC OPERATION: Super silent ultrasonic technology. Quietly Humidify your living space to prevent...
- BEAUTIFUL COLOR LIGHTS: Add mesmerising colors to your lifestyle. Gurunanda Diffuser Sparks Your Kid's Imagination with...
There are times when you need a diffuser for a small room, perhaps a nursery. The GuruNanda Essential Oil Diffuser has a small three-ounce tank that shuts the device off automatically when it is empty. This diffuser looks beautiful with its changing LED lights, honeycomb design, and modern appearance.
On Amazon, this diffuser gets an average rating of 4.1 stars out of 5.0. People like how quiet the GuruNanda diffuser is, and how well it works. But some reviewers note that runtime for this product is rather short.
Utama Spice Ultrasonic Diffuser
- POWERFUL & BEAUTIFUL - Luxury, premium ultrasonic essential oil diffuser, air humidifier and LED lamp
- ATTRACTIVE & EFFECTIVE - Elegant, clean design a perfect complement for the home, studio, spa, or salon. Ideal for use...
- GUARANTEED SATISFACTION - If you have any problem or issue contact us and we will solve it 100% for sure
Nebulizers are pricey, but they give you a stronger scent and thick mists. If you prefer a nebulizing diffuser, but you do not want to pay lots of money for it, then you should get the Utama Spice Ultrasonic Diffuser.
With a very compact size, the Utama Spice Ultrasonic Diffuser does not take up too much space. It does not use water or heat, so your essential oils are kept potent. It also uses glass, which does not erode over time. This product receives an average of 4.8 stars out of 5.0 on Amazon.
PUSEAYZ 100ml Glass Aromatic Essential Oil Diffuser
- [Safe use and fog output]: We use PP and ABS to make diffusers. No bpa, no toxic substances. These materials are same as...
- [Waterless Automatic Shutdown]: When there is no water in the detection of essential oil diffusers, lights flashing,...
- [4 time options & 7 color change light]: 4 time setting modes: 0.5H, 1H, 2H, 3H, you can set the time. When it reaches...
What you will notice about the PUSEAYZ 100ml Glass Aromatic Essential Oil Diffuser is how eye-catching it is. This diffuser uses handmade glass and has color changing LEDs. Looking at it from afar, you might mistake it for an elegant lava lamp. It helps that this beautiful diffuser also works rather well, with timer and automatic waterless shutdown features.
On Amazon, this diffuser gets an average rating of 4.3 stars out of 5.0. Most people like this diffuser for its looks, but others do not like the small tank size.
The Best Essential Oil Diffuser for You
If you want to get the best essential oil diffuser that offers the right tank size as well as a good range of features, then you can choose between the URPOWER 2nd Generation 300ml Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser and the ASAKUKI 500ml Premium Essential Oil Diffuser.
If you prefer something more potent, you can get a nebulizer like the Radiance Nebulizing Diffuser. Or save with the Utama Spice nebulizer. Other devices on this list give you options such as the InnoGear diffuser that uses real bamboo. You also have choices for a Wi-Fi-connected device or a multi-use diffuser that also doubles as a speaker and clock. There are also diffusers here that have small tank sizes for smaller rooms and one you could choose for your beauty.
With so many different difusers to choose from that address whichever need you have, you're sure to find one right for you.